The Kingdom of the Netherlands recognized Ukraine on December 31, 1991 alongside with other EU Member States. Diplomatic relations were established on 1 April 1992 by exchange of diplomatic notes. The Royal Netherlands Embassy was opened in Kyiv in autumn 1992 by Ambassador Robert Serry. The Embassy of Ukraine in the states of Benelux, covering also relations with the Netherlands was opened in Brussels in mid 1993 by Ambassador Volodymyr Vassylenko. The full-fledged diplomatic mission of Ukraine to the Kingdom of the Netherlands began its activities in The Hague in May 2002.
- Ambassador of Ukraine Vsevolod Chentsov presented credentials to King of The Netherlands Willem-Alexander on June 14, 2017.
- Ambassador of The Netherlands Ed Hoeks presented credentials to President of Ukraine on January 10, 2018.
There were 10 high-level meetings between President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and Prime Minster of The Netherlands Mark Rutte between 2014-2016 within the framework of international fora.
November 26-27, 2015 President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko paid a working visit to The Netherlands and met with King of The Netherlands Willem-Alexander, Prime Minsiter Mark Rutte, Presidents of Senate and House of Representatives of The Parliament of The Netherlands.
In 2017-2018 President of Ukraine Petro Poroshenko and Prime Minster of The Netherlands Mark Rutte met on the sidelines of:
- January 19, 2017 – World Economic Forum (Davos);
- January 25, 2018 - World Economic Forum (Davos);
- July 12, 2018 – NATO Summit in Brussels.
Dialogue at the level of Ministers of Foreign Affairs
- There were 16 meetings of Foreign Ministers of Ukraine and the Netherlands between 2014-2016 within the framework of international fora.
- In 2014-2016 Ministers of Foreign Affairs of The Netherlands F.Timmermans and B.Koenders paid 5 visits to Ukraine.
- Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin visited The Netherlands 5 times between 2014-2016.
- In 2017-2018 Foreign Ministers of Ukraine and the Netherlands met on the sidelines of:
February 18, 2017 - Munich Security Conference;
- November 24, 2017 - Eastern Partnership Summit in Brussels;
- March 19, 2018 – at the “Friends of Ukraine” meeting in Brussels;
- May 29, 2018 – UN SC debate in New York.
February 1-2 2018 р. Minister of Foreign Affairs of Ukraine Pavlo Klimkin paid a working visit to The Netherlands.